59673Re: Books

  • existlist
    Apr 14, 2013
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Doug Viener <duditz72@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Hermit Crab will do. I would say the core of my personal dilemma is a sense to belong. I think Sartre got it wrong. Hell is NOT other people. We exist through other people, we have meaning through other people. As I said its just a germ of an idea.

      ===Doug,
      Honoring your concrete human experience is what existentialism is all about, I gather. So you sense a yearning to belong and find value and meaning in interaction with other people. You've thought it through and apparently you act on it by seeking out other people, right? So what is the dilemma? I don't think existentialist writers were starting a religion and were asking for followers. I think you're supposed to figure out what works for you and follow through. Your circumstances may change and then you may need to rethink and spend more time alone, it's hard to say. I do think that solitude and being quiet can be very useful (& pleasant) but we're individuals with differing wants and needs and what may work for one may not work for another. There's no one size fits all when it comes to concrete human experience.

      h.

      h.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic