59672Re: Books

  • Jim
    Apr 14, 2013
      Mary, Doug,

      I agree that Sartre's hell and Nietzsche's eternal recurrence are both one-sided extremes which don't capture enough of the components of human existence, and are not really suitable for ordinary people like us who are a mixture of good and bad, with good days and bad days.

      I find that solitariness and living-with-others are both aspects of the good life for me: each complements the other. After a period of solitariness, I can appreciate the company of my friends and family all the more, and after a period of living with others I can appreciate the stillness and silence of being on my own again.

      Even existentialists like Kierkegaard and Nietzsche who wrote positively about the solitary existence had close friends who they met and wrote to throughout their lives.

      One advantage I find in favour of solitariness is that it gives me the space and environment to think. I find thinking more difficult when I am in the middle of the hustle and bustle of community life.

      On the other hand, my thoughts benefit from the criticism of others, so even progress with thinking requires interaction with others.

      Jim
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic