59669Re: Books

    Apr 12, 2013
      Doug,

      Hell is SOME people but not all, and this famous statement does not represent Sartre's entire body of thought. I agree that we have being and meaning because of others but not everyone ,and that we have the freedom and responsibility to choose. There are some who will exploit those who need to belong, but there are also some who recognize this desire as mutual. Authenticity is the road to finding those with whom you belong, but we also learn much from those so different from us we'd never be 'with' them in any sense except contentious engagement. So I guess you can say we belong with some only in the negative sense, which is the essence of "No Exit," and from which the characters had no escape. What has always captivated me about their dilemma is the question of there actually being no escape, that we could be stuck for eternity with the same group of people. In that scenario, we'd have to work things out. I also like it as a metaphor for the human condition: new cast of characters but the same miserable problems over and over and over ...

      Mary