59610Re: [existlist] Re: Mething Nothing

  • wsindarius
    Mar 26, 2013
      Knott,

      Well, that is part of the existential problem. But, after all, I only came to be, at least as a discrete individual, at a certain time. I have it on pretty good authority that the world was here before then. My mother told me so, and her advise seems to be supported by subsequent investigation.

      Your enigma is involved with the problem of presence. What is it? To what is there a presencing? Is my pure presence, as it were, different from my consciousness and from my thought? What are the distinctions? Is Being a self-present becoming to which we, and all beings, are in presentation with?

      These existential-ontological questions are always lurking in European philosophy. Being, thus understood, has been called God (the "God" of ontology) since Aristotle, and Descartes and Spinoza (and Aquinas' "5 Ways") follow suit. But, as much as I regret that traditional concept, it really isn’t much of a God. It hardly rates as the Deistic one. As Derrida and others have underscored, this God is a metaphysical shorthand for presence. Ontology as Presence.

      So your question comes down to this, for me: is your presence really yours? I am inclined to go along with such as Schelling and Hegel on this score say that Being is a self-presencing that becomes the ontological by the development of its Idea as Nature, life being one inevitability of that Idea. That is, of course, a speculation, but I am persuaded of it, with a few reservations.

      I would find it hard to believe that consciousness, and thinking, too, are unique to us; and if they are not, I would find it difficult to believe that they aren't integral to what they mirror.

      But, these speculations are just that, speculations.

      Wil