      From: Mary <josephson45r@...>
      To: existlist <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Guantanamo

      Further clarification. I couldn't find a source for the story about the $50M authorization but did find a NY Times article which indicates the Pentagon has only requested the funds.

      http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/pentagon-wants-to-build-new-prison-at-guantanamo/?smid=tw-nytimesatwar&seid=auto

      I'm totally opposed to the inhumane treatment of prisoners as well as opposed to detaining them without trial. It was Congress that included the continued operation of Gitmo in their latest defense bill which Obama signed. The public's will to control guns has gone virtually nowhere in Congress also. Congress maintains that U.S. citizens don't want to house detainees here and that repatriation abroad is dangerous if not impossible.

      What are the dangers of the precedent for the expanded power of executive order if and when the GOP returns to power? Yet I also don't think the balance of power is the issue as much as it is that our representatives don't represent us. Many of them 'vote their consciences' which means whoever lobbies them hardest gets represented.

      That politics and activism depend on money disheartens me immensely.