      From: devindersingh
      Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 9:37 PM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Existentialist Concepts?

      There are, according to Sri Aurobindo, three stages that cover the entire
      process of manifestation that is relevant to evolution. An involution of the
      spirit in the inconscience is the beginning;
      evolution in the ignorance with its play of possibilities of a partial
      developing knowledge is the middle; a consummation in a deployment of the
      spirit's self knowledge and self-power of its divine being and consciousness
      is the culmination. It may be argued that the two stages that have already
      occurred seem at first sight to deny the possibility of the later
      consummating state of the cycle, but it is stressed that logically they
      imply its emergence. For, it is argued, if the inconscience has evolved
      consciousness, the partial consciousness already reached must surely evolve
      into complete consciousness, considering that just as the impulse towards
      Mind ranges from the more sensitive reactions of Life in the metal and the
      plant up to its full organization in man, so in man himself there is the
      same ascending series, the preparation, if nothing more, of a higher and
      divine life. It is, therefore, contended that it is a supramentalised,
      perfected and divinized life for which the earth-nature is secretly seeking,
      and that a progressive manifestation of this kind can only have for its
      secret or significance, the evolution of a Being in a perfect Becoming.
      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-03_Yoga%20and%20Evolution.htm#Evolution_and_Human_Progress]
      According to Sri Aurobindo, the present age of human development has a
      possibility of becoming a gate for the arrival of a Spiritual Age in which
      the ideal of brotherhood can come to be practised; it is only in that
      condition that a new form of human unity can be forged in which the
      individual and the collectivity, even on a global scale of organization, can
      come to be harmonized. In the meantime, however, it is to be realized that
      the advent of the Spiritual Age and even a transition to that advent is
      bound to be difficult, and it is, in fact, riddled with a series of crisis.
      And there are deeper reasons for this crisis.
      Sri Aurobindo considers the present stage of crisis as an
      evolutionary crisis in which the human will is called upon to make a free
      choice. This is the crisis where the human reason has evolved up to a point
      where it is obliged to play the role of lifting up humanity to create a life
      of unity, mutuality and harmony. On the other hand, there is a force that is
      striving to assert stark barbarism which has still survived in the
      civilized man. There is thus an acute conflict between the ideals of Reason
      and the gravitational pull of barbarism supported by Unreason. Within the
      larger framework of this conflict, there are three alternative
      possibilities, which are also in conflict with each other. For it is
      possible that the humankind may be able to utilize the present scientific
      and technical knowledge to such an extent that an order of existence can be
      created in which physical and vital wants of the human being can greatly, if
      not fully, be satisfied, and it may also be conceived that this order of
      existence can be maintained by mechanical devices and application of the
      power of machines. This possibility may push humanity to the creation of a
      framework that can be sustained only by the imprisonment of the human
      spirit. There is also a second alternative in which human reason can
      continue to spin out larger or narrower circles propounding great dreams but
      find itself unable to fulfill them. But there is also a third alternative in
      which the human beings might consent to rise to the higher levels than those
      of the Reason and consent to be spiritualized.
      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-04_Human%20History%20and%20the%20Problems%20of%20the%20Harmony.htm#Contemporary_Evolutionary_Crisis]