59274Re: The boy in the hole

    Feb 5, 2013
      Let me restate this. Any individual, whether employed in the private or the public sector, cannot be excused from doing what they can. The reason existentialism is not just 'what everybody does anyway' is because it's a call for authenticity and doing what is worth your trouble. That there are no guarantees does impact our decisions but only if we don't chose. If we don't choose, someone else chooses for us. Freedom isn't even possible if no one is authentically choosing. For example, if someone declares they're just doing their job or that money is their primary goal, you know where they stand. Reacting to inauthentic people is like shadow boxing; taking a position is the only way someone else is free to take theirs.