59218Re: [existlist] Map

  • eduardathome
    Jan 31, 2013
      It is unlikely that humans, in their present form, would enter interstellar
      space. For one thing, our lifetimes do not permit it. Voyager was launched
      some 35 years ago and has yet to reach interstellar space, albeit almost at
      the edge. Who is going spend 35 years of their life just getting to the
      edge of the solar system?? Granted they would travel faster, but basically
      it is the same result.

      The closest star is 4.2 light years away. Voyager has a speed of 15
      km/second or about 5*10^8 km/year.

      One light year is 9.5*10^12 km so the closest star is about 4.0*10^13 km
      away. Dividing through the time to get to the closest star at the speed of
      voyager is about 800,000 years. Even if you significantly increased the
      speed of the space ship, it is still a lot of years and nowhere close to a
      human life. If the speed is increased by an order of magnitude it is 80,000
      years and still too long.

      If you think in terms of a colony of humans travelling over say a few
      hundred generations, the problem is that the people who arrive would not be
      same as having left. I mean in the sense of their humanity. And would they
      have any interest in sending back some message of their arrival?? Would
      they have the skills and knowledge to survive on some unknown planet??
      Would the humans remaining on earth have any interest in receiving the
      message?? And even if they did have an interest, what would they do about
      it??