59142Re: [existlist] Re: Consciousness requires a brain?

  • eduardathome
    Jan 25, 2013
      I can appreciate that if one has a particular belief system or path of
      inquiry, it can be rewarding for the person who does it. If I were to say
      that I try to commune with the pink elephants on the dark side of Pluto, it
      probably would be personally rewarding in some fashion ... otherwise I would
      not do it. But the question is "what is the value", and in this sense the
      value to others. That is why I pointed out that some mystics [so-called]
      have shown themselves more inclined to collecting Rolls-Royces. In the end,
      they are not providing any value to others, but actually have an negative
      value. Granted that only applies to a few which may not be general.
      Albeit, their example does cause a certain hostility against mysticism.

      Jesus could be considered a mystic, if one looks at his role as that of a
      teacher/rabbi instead of somehow a combination of Father Son and Holy Ghost.
      Jesus can be considered a mystic for reason of his attempts of communion
      with god and the transcendental. At least as supposed according to the
      gospels. One could well ask the question as to whether the product provided
      by Jesus, in his role of mystic, was of value to the world. The main
      product from Jesus was his statement that one should love others as
      yourself. I don't take this as a product of mysticism, since it could be
      said by anyone without being a mystic. The other product of Jesus was his
      forecast of the coming of the Kingdom of God. This could be considered as a
      product of mysticism, but it lead nowhere and perhaps is negative
      considering what the church latter made of it. Was it of value?? Perhaps
      for the Christians of the era who were looking for some out of their pain,
      but I would suggest that in the long run it has not been of value to
      society.

      So we get back to Salam. What product did he produce in his role as mystic
      that was of value??