59131Re: On getting old and dying?

  • devindersingh
    Jan 25, 2013
      Some people, when they are about to die, are aware of it. Why don't they
      tell the genius [of death] to go away?

      Two things are needed. First, nothing in your being, no part of your
      being, should wish to die. That doesn't often happen. You always have,
      somewhere in you, a defeatist: something tired or disgusted, which has
      had enough, something lazy or which doesn't want to fight and says, 'Ah,
      well, let it be over, so much the better.' That's enough - you're dead.

      But it's a fact: if nothing, absolutely nothing in you consents to die,
      you will not die. For someone to die, there is always a second, if a
      hundredth part of a second, when he consents. If there isn't that second
      of consent, he will not die. But who is certain he doesn't have within
      himself, somewhere, a tiny bit of a defeatist which just yields and
      says, 'Oh well'?

      ... Hence the need to unify oneself. Whatever the path we may follow,
      the subject we may study, we always reach the same result. The most
      important thing for an individual is to unify himself around his divine
      center; that way he becomes a real individual, master of himself and of
      his destiny. Otherwise, he is a plaything of the forces, which toss him
      about like a cork in a stream. He goes where he doesn't want to, is made
      to do what he doesn't want to, and finally he gets lost in a hole
      without any way to stop himself doing so. But if you are consciously
      organized, unified around the divine center, governed and led by it, you
      are the master of your destiny. It's worth trying.... At any rate, I
      find it's better to be the master rather than the slave.
      QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, JULY 1, 1953 MOTHER