58984Re: What power to charm or harm?

    Jan 13, 2013
      You misread me, eduard. I didn't say knowledge that the brain thinks has been around since antiquity; secular thought has. I don't know if philosophy has ever been a large part of the general view as you call it. And yes, neural plasticity and brain re-scripting are new.

      For me a mental script involves thinking, but a neural program does not. These however are both ideas. I reduce thinking to ideas; you reduce it to neurons. Where we differ doesn't seem all that significant to me, so I'll leave it for now. I don't feel pressed to make you agree with or understand what I think.

      In any case, several of our scripts intersect where it comes to agreeing the world of humans requires some changes. I don't think either of us has articulated a compelling enough reason to change our scripts, or our ideas about observer and observed.

      In some strange way, the notion that rays were the cause of vision is interesting. There was some intuition about light and connection between observer and observed happening back there. It was more holistic. Also, the reason sense perceptions differ from person to person is because the receptors which 'project' the rays anatomically differ. It says the brain receives from what it projects. How is this different from saying our idea about what we're perceiving shapes what we see but doesn't prevent us from developing new ideas about it?