58977Re: What power to charm or harm?

    Jan 12, 2013
      eduard,

      I think most modern peoples understand their brain is doing the thinking, and secular thought has been around since at least Aristotle and Plato. The ideas of re-scripting and neural plasticity are empowering. That these ideas will clash with others is obvious, so the problem is reducing conflict long enough to discover ways to formulate ethical and legal principles. On this collective scale, knowing how the brain works is not useful; we are merely telling one another to change scripts without giving them a reason why they should. The reasons are philosophical. Accepting that both idea and implementation are in themselves scripts does not advance any particular agenda.

      I mention nurture and cooperation in juxtaposition to competition in non-human nature, because all three exist without mental scripts. If we compare any or all of these with humans, we are employing an idea which is explicated through observation. The ideas themselves are present in _what_ we observe, even though it is our brain thinking. So while you stress the brain as the instrument with all the power, I suggest there is the power of an idea residing in objects themselves which works together with the brain. Mind is a complex of objects, observer, brain, and notion; thought as a system includes all of these plus communication between thinkers.

      The idea of re-scripting our thought is the result of thousands of years of thinking, a feat which is the culmination of ideas. Regardless of whether neural activity was processing thought, it wasn't physiological evolution which caused this. The brain may haven taken millions of years to evolve, but recognizing that our brains are capable of re-scripting only took a couple thousand. And it may only take a few decades before brain washing citizens and subjects into completely happy robots into complete servitude. The fact or idea of re-scripting won't be the primary concern; a philosophy involving the how the idea is implemented is now. Re-scripting is also the tool of "Madison Avenue" and those whom "Wall Street" represents.