58888Re: [existlist] Re: Thoughts and the Brain?

  • eduardathome
    Jan 1, 2013
      I am not familiar with Camus' wager, or perhaps can't recall it.

      I would agree with Pascal's wager, but not in the fashion it is presented
      ... that is, the probability of end results. If you believe in God and you
      are wrong, then you lose nothing. But if believe in God and it is true,
      then you gain everything [eternal life and heaven].

      I would agree with Pascal's wager from the point of view that if you believe
      in God you may have a life philosophy that will be successful for you. If
      you do not believe in God, then you are exposed to stress [the realisation
      that your life has no purpose]. Belief in God also makes available a
      ready-made community. There are not many atheist communities. There is
      comfort in numbers.

      The point being that a god-fantasy may provide mental comfort and that is a
      benefit you derive whilst you are believing it. The wager should not be
      about what you win or lose, but what is gotten at present, rather than at
      the end of your life. When you are dead, you are dead and who then cares
      whether the wager is won or lost.

      All of which brings us back to the reason I brought up this subject in the
      first place. My suggestion was that you could think up and believe in a
      fantasy [god-based or otherwise] by choosing to do so. It is just another
      mental script and you can create out of first cloth. You have the ability
      to manipulate your brain. You can create a fantasy or adopt a fantasy and
      convince yourself to believe in it. Because ultimately everything that you
      think about is in the brain.