58853Re: Working philosophy

  • William
    Dec 29, 2012

      > Bill,
      >
      > I don't think the postmodern label applies to my thought. I regret that existentialism is associated with postmodernism. An ethical atheism or even some nihilistic association are better fits in my opinion. eduard seems more postmodern as he thinks everyone decides their own truth. I say truth is a process rather than a result but that all objects we perceive, including other subjects, are real appearances, hence an objective reality. Truth and reality are different categories. Anyway . . . have fun outdoors. It's the only way to enjoy winter.
      >
      > Mary
      > Mary, I like ethical atheism and that does seem to fit you. I do not read much nihilism in your writing, I think you avoid nihilism since you have lived through so many hard things.
      I do not understand postmodernism and really do not know if it exists. I do not go into deconstruction and am really put off by political correctness. Those are the things I associate with post modernism . I do know the early existentialists feared chaos would come from their attempts to bury morality. I do not think that happned but the post modernists with their correctness cast a new morality on the scene and I certainly do not accuse you of that. Bill

      > > I like Eduards idea that a machine may not be ideal for a task but if it works use it as long as it lasts. The post modernist ,deconstructionist ideas just do not work. I have never tried to use them as they make you try to build on vapors.
      > > I consider modernism to be empirical at its base. It comes out of sense knowledge not out of abstract thinking. It is grounded in the reality of sense knowledge and that knowledges adherance to the real world.
      > > That Eduard has a philosophy that has served him from teen age to retirement seems a good operation for him. I can say the same for mine as I have been a modernist for nearly fifty years.
      > > Now Mary has been an existentialist and an artist and a postmodernist. I think she still exhibits post modernist ideas and for her they work. Who am I to try to inhibit her freedom to exist as she wishes. Certainly post modernism runs parallel to modernism and cross referencing between the ideas is interesting and often constructive.
      > > Dick`s mystacism is too big a stretch for me but much of his writing outside the mystical is very empirical and I enjoy reading his ideas on life and history.With hard drives of written material he has paid his dues in the thinking business.
      > > Eduards Nooism just escaped me. I thought he might come back to it and I wonder if he can explain it again. Is it still a part of his operating philosophy? I have come to the realisation I have served my last dental patient. I must say I feel a bit lost. The final patient was a goalie who I played hockey with more than forty years ago. I could not stand to hang around after he left and I just left without much fanfare. The staff just kept crying whenever they looked at me and there just didnt seem much to be said. There are many ends to be tied up but for the time being I need to forget about the office that no longer is operating. Right now I will go shovel some snow and get physical and avoid any more thinking about it.
      > > Talking about modernism seems a safe persuit, dealing with the list people is usually rewarding. I will find out how my long used philosophy deals with this life change. It is only two inches of snow but it should fill in an hour. The rest of my life needs to be planned. I`ll start after the drive is cleared. Bill

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic