58617Re: Contact 1997. The Voyage

    Nov 27, 2012
      Bill,

      I believe Dick's mystical experiences happened for him; I don't believe they will happen for all who seek them now or possibly ever. He told us we'll just have to wait and see, but he can't possibly know that simply on the basis of it happening to him. Nor do I believe the interpretation of his experiences applies to anyone who has something similar or even exactly. Believing they happened to him is simply trust, which is neither scientific nor philosophical. There was no one there to verify he actually died, but I believe he believes he did. Believing some of what he says doesn't require faith in either an afterlife or a deity. I'm no longer interested in that kind of fruitless speculation. Whatever happens, happens.

      > > It's one of my favorite films. What I appreciated about it was that Ellie's experiences were not what she expected and that her only ally ultimately was Minister Joss. When nobody experiences exactly what you experience, you're asking them to believe you and to act on your word. Sometimes it's necessary to believe someone else.
      > >
      > > Mary
      > >Mary,Can you extrapolate that attitude on to the mystical writings of Dick?
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic