58548Re: Assisted Suicide

  • William
    Nov 18, 2012

      > Mary,
      >
      > Thank you for your beautiful and moving account of the life and death of Ramon Sampedro, intermingled with your own experience of spinal injury.
      >
      > It seems feeble to say "I agree with everything you write" as that response does not acknowledge your careful drawing of distinctions and appreciation of differing perspectives of these real-life situations.
      >
      > My own view – currently I am 56 years old and feel I am gradually approaching old age – is, like yours, that I would like to decide for myself when the appropriate time is for my life to end. I don't want to live "too long" when my enjoyment of life is gone and I am a burden on others, who have their own lives to lead.
      >
      > I would prefer a change in the UK law so that people who reach the point where they want to die (after careful reflection, and not on a whim) can apply for their own termination. This idea of applying for one's own death by filling in a Government form, has a slightly distasteful flavour to it, but here in England we cannot all be like Bill with his large calibre hand gun in his bottom drawer.
      >
      > I think the idea of "living wills" – regularly updated – stating that if I were to become incapacitated in body and mind such that I can no longer live a meaningful life, then my wish is for my life to be ended. Or if I retain a sound mind, I should be able to consent to my own death, in a clinic or at home, without the need to carry out the deed in secret or in violation of the law of the land.
      >
      > Jim

      Jim, this conservation has centered on extreme cases. Mary has a moderately extreme situation and she is still with us. I have a tolerable situation and have no desire to end my life. Most people die of pathology at an advanced age. They may be partially asssted by morphene or cessation of breathing assistance. I would opt for such an end but in extreme circumstances reserve the right to take more direct action. My guns are not there to destroy myself they are there to protect me from others. You could include in that protection a absolute bullwork against legal and religous banning of suicide. Were you in intractable pain how longwould you wait to sign and process that paperwork that allows you to die? At your present age all of this is remote if you are in relatively good health . That you care more for the rules imposed by others may change as you develope some appreciable pathology and become more uncomfortable with life in general. Eight years ago I came very near death and though very much in pain I had no thought of suicide. I fought like hell to survive and now have a nearly normal life for those of my age.
      This is perhaps the most individualistic moment in our lives as we all come to it from different sets of circumstance.I would resrve the greatest set of options . That does not mean I am purchasing my restraints and helium tank and hood. I have scraped the brains and skull fragments off the wall after a shotgun suicide. Yes it was ugly but I felt relieved that the poor sick bastard got away from his pain. I fear you would have offered him a form to fill out and offered his pain up to the bureaucracy.I would rather puke cleaning the gore off the wall than to stand by and assist in continued suffereng. By the way I was in the funeral home business and did not assist in the deed. When you have a near death experience you may have a change of attitude . Then again you have always been a legalist and may remain true to your code. It is your pain and suffering until you can do nothing about it. You are just making it easier to turn yourself over to the tormentors. I wish us all a smooth painless end and will do what I can to make mine so. Bill
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic