58447Re: heaven is real

  • gil_serrano@ymail.com
    Oct 29, 2012
      I would say that reasonableness is all that can be justified in an epistemology. There is a sort of continuum in which on one end we have absolute disbelief and on the other complete commitment to the truth of a proposition or fact. On most matters reasonable belief is as good as it gets. But belief does not equate to truth, for a proposition to be true it must reflect or embody a relationship between what is said and a state or case in the world. It is difficult for me at least to see how the proposition "heaven is real" relates to a state or case of the world. How is the proposition reasonable? Indeed, does it even make sense outside of an overtly religious context? What philosophical argument could be devised to ground this proposition?

      This can be shown by the fact to either affirm or deny the proposition raises identical difficulties. There simply is no truth criterion for the proposition. Also recall the topic, raising the problem of consciousness sheds no light on the issue of "heaven", whatever the properties and the nature of consciousness, it is not reasonable to postulate entities that bring in additional difficulties rather than conceptual clarity or at least move one closer in that direction.

      Consciousness is it seems to me a property or attribute rather than an "object" but it is a fascinating and complex issue. The phenomena of subject/object duality may relate to the simultaneous experience of first person perspective and intentionality – the "aboutness" of consciousness; both are intrinsic to the experience and maybe provide a place to begin thinking about the problem.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic