58429Re: Elemental_Existential_Elemental

    Oct 26, 2012
      Bill,

      The problem with science is that its nature is to normalize knowledge, but you can't normalize experience. If experience is constrained by knowledge, an unfortunate limitation is imposed on both. Our need to normalize should be tempered with speculative reason as much as with skepticism. We needn't feel affront at differences in identity, only wary if some attempt to impose a normalization which contradicts individuality.

      > As we have explored the cosmos, so far, we have found no other life.It appears life evolved here ,slowly , building up from the elemental, through the phyla, to the human. It took eons of evolution to get to Homo Sapiens and then a relatively short time to postulate "I think,therefore I am". That realisation issued in existentialism.
      > I think most here agree that each individual is a unique and uncopied entity.
      > This process took billions of years and for the short span of a human life is lived out.
      > Death ends the existential phase, the living phase and begins a process of reduction back to the elemental. The reduction back to the elemental can be of varing time span. In a nuclear explosion the reduction is practically instantaneous. In the case of the Ice man found in the alps, the reduction is incomplete for better than five thousand years. The red giant phase of our sun will complete the transition for all of us.
      > So it is Elemental to Existential to Elemental for all of us.
      > Once, back at the elemental,. evolution could begin again and a new sentient species might evolve . From what we have seen of the cosmos the process appears rare but we do not know how long this cosmos will last and therefore we have little idea how many times elements might cycle through life and back to the elemental. Yet we can identify this cycle. We can see the sentient being is individual and finite. Through this identification of cycle we can join our emerging science to our evolving existentialism and gain a knowledge of our situation in the cosmos. Bill

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic