58136Re: No god inhabits a city.

  • William
    Sep 7, 2012

      > Yes, there are only so many planks we can rip out of the platform and have it support a large number of voters. I'm sure you and I would disagree on which ones to tear out, but we understand what's at stake. I'm still very concerned about voter disenfranchisement led by Republicans. Our country needs weekend election days or longer hours and extended early voting in order to accommodate the number of voters who stay away due to long lines. Fortunately Wisconsin's photo ID law was overturned. We also need more political parties to involve younger folks and spending limits. Off my soapbox for today . . .
      >
      > Mary
      >Mary, the spending limits debate was settled by the right wing court. They said that money buys free speach. When Obama gets his chance he should pack the court with liberals who can decide the issue as it will be seen in some form in the future. Plans made over generations rule these matters not just legislators in the present.
      Today I spoke with a lobbiest who shows me there is a shadow authority that oversees this long term governmental authority. He explained to me how a loser executive official was to be rehabilitated as his name recognition still gave him a value. Most people never see any of this behind the scenes planning and such displays like conventions are side shows designed to reward the base . He claims three percent of unaligned voters will decide this election and identifying and reaching them is the real business of the serious politicians. He said he was trying to identify which of his children might be a stand up politician. I told him to pick the best looking one and he grimmaced before he agreed with me.
      The deep operatives speak in code and ask questions that seem innocuous but get at deep loyalties and philosophical drives. Since I am on the way out I answered in a very open manner and would have said more but outsiders arrived. He ended by saying he would be getting back with me as we had further business. I hope so because like I said politics is knife fighting and I feel my blade still has temper.The gross,front people like the Koch Bros. are the out front power brokers but the real tacticians are not worried about their own comfort , they are only comfortable when their long term plans carry the day. Bill

      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "josephson45r" <josephson45r@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Whether it was a mistake or not, which I doubt, the split in the DNC convention over putting god and Jerusalem back into the platform seems cleverly progressive as a signal that Israel's special status in the region, as well as god's political aspirations are coming to an end. It was a typical not so subtle gesture of appealing to both sides of this divide. Israelis themselves are divided over the plan to attack Iran and the division of Jerusalem and/or its monitoring as an international protectorate. Conveniently for the godly war mongers, Syria is destroying itself. Belief carried into the political arena is not a value, but if it were, it wouldn't look anything like the extant, fundamentalist fervor. It would look like Nuns on the Bus.
      > > >
      > > > Mary
      > > >
      > > Mary, My association with nuns has been most negative. The nuns on the bus made me cringe but from a political viewpoint they had to be considered allies. The political decision to put god back in the platform also served a political purpose and I can live with that. Having a silly notion buried in a platform is nothing if we can avoid the regressive Romney et all.The Jerusalem bit is a toss up for me. Realpolitique is the coin of the day and no one plays more skilfully than Clinton. His speach was a masterwork and a prominent republican supporter said Romney had been delt a mortal blow by the address. Politics is knife fighting while philosophy is plesant speculation. They cross over and intersect in strange ways. I`m not for god drivel but I accept it for effect. I do not care where the jews have their capital but I do care who inhabits ours.
      > > I can feel the time near to stick a fork in Romney ,he is almost done. Yet we must guard that we do not make a critical error that might allow the right wing to reinvigorate. The jobs numbers sound good and Wall Street is up. That someone says they have Romneys tax returns scares the shit out of both sides. I`m crossing my fingers and swallowing bitter pills for the team. There is more light at the tunnel but that tunnel goes on forever. Bill

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic