56593Re: Big dude

  • irvhal
    Jan 8, 2012

      > Ah, the old canard that non-communist nations don't 'snuff out' opponents. He's had the unique opportunity of being able to critique both systems from within. Sartre was rather slow in admitting the failure of Stalinism but never relented in his opposition to capitalism, based on his understanding of Hegel. We've moved on to philosophy though now, haven't we?
      >
      > Mary

      No system or period is without violence or intrigue, though some allow more wiggle room for dissent or eccentricity than others. And while Sartre, for reasons of his own, might sacrifice himself, others aren't so ready to follow. Perhaps our differences turn on cetain approaches. Some are more dialectical and aim for an Absolute. Others are more empirical, more pragmatic, and if I may say so, more modest. I'm of the latter, and offer Nietzsche's comment from "On Truth and Lie in a Nonmoral Sense" (1873) for consideration:

      "In some remote corner of the sprawling universe, twinkling among the countless solar systems, there was once a star on which some clever animals invented knowledge. It was the most arrogant, most mendacious minute in 'world history,' but it was only a minute. After nature caught its breath a little, the star froze, and the clever animals had to die. -- One could invent a fable like this and still not have illustrated sufficiently how miserable, how shadowy and fleeting, how aimless and arbitrary the human intellect appears in nature. There were eternities in which it did not exist, and when it has vanished once again, it will have left nothing in its wake. For the human intellect has no further task beyond human life. Instead, it is merely human, and only its owner and producer regards it so pathetically as to suppose that it contains in itself the hinge on which the world turns."

      Irvin
    • Show all 37 messages in this topic