56564Re: A force for truth

    Jan 1, 2012
      Jim,

      Under the influence of "You-Know-Who," I'm beginning to think truth is both slipperier and more concrete than commonly understood. That's not to say truth is subjective or relative, only that it appears somewhere amongst reading `between the lines' and `in your face'. By shifting our gaze from one to another perspective of essentially the `same' difference, we experience a `gap' within reality.

      An individual perspective opens the possibility of experiencing the universal but does not guarantee it. Those who most fight against change already know its inevitability; those who most insist on their truth know there is a frightening lack of it. If together we shift our perspective to see things differently, half-truths appear whole. Gaps in the void make freedom and truth uncontrollably possible.

      > Philosophers are in the business of getting at the truth and, some of them at least, are also in the business of trying to change the world for the better through their writings.
      >
      > Whilst existentialists are a particular sub-group amongst philosophers, they also aim at both truth and change.
      >
      > As Bill correctly states, the majority of contributors to Existlist in recent years pursue these twin aims of philosophers with honesty and integrity.
      >
      > Progress towards the truth, and clarity how change for the better can be achieved, are best pursued in a spirit of good-will and cooperation. Further I think these aims can best be achieved by concentrating on the ideas discussed, rather than on the individuals who put forward the ideas.
      >
      > Whilst individuals, no doubt, post for various reasons, some noble and some ignoble, I think to delve into personal motives is a distraction and serves little or no useful purpose.
      >
      > The current regular contributors to Existlist are a small bunch – just a handful. Fresh faces mean fresh ideas and the chance for new insights. I would rather judge a new face by the quality of their posts here on Existlist, rather than what they may or may not write elsewhere, or where they come from, or how they live their lives.
      >
      > Jim

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic