56563Re: A force for truth

  • Jim
    Jan 1, 2012
      Philosophers are in the business of getting at the truth and, some of them at least, are also in the business of trying to change the world for the better through their writings.

      Whilst existentialists are a particular sub-group amongst philosophers, they also aim at both truth and change.

      As Bill correctly states, the majority of contributors to Existlist in recent years pursue these twin aims of philosophers with honesty and integrity.

      Progress towards the truth, and clarity how change for the better can be achieved, are best pursued in a spirit of good-will and cooperation. Further I think these aims can best be achieved by concentrating on the ideas discussed, rather than on the individuals who put forward the ideas.

      Whilst individuals, no doubt, post for various reasons, some noble and some ignoble, I think to delve into personal motives is a distraction and serves little or no useful purpose.

      The current regular contributors to Existlist are a small bunch – just a handful. Fresh faces mean fresh ideas and the chance for new insights. I would rather judge a new face by the quality of their posts here on Existlist, rather than what they may or may not write elsewhere, or where they come from, or how they live their lives.

      Jim
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic