56378Re: Idealists

  • William
    Dec 3, 2011

      > No loyalty oaths, please :)
      >
      > I've been listening to "Everyday People" recently as part of my extended summer of R&B, Soul, and Motown and can only say "Different strokes for different folks." Poets and intellectuals are as necessary to a culture as soldiers. Without ideals, we're defending property, not people.
      >
      > No doubt colonization and the subsequent wars waged in New England made it possible for those Transcendentalists to contemplate, revere, and write about what's beautiful and deadly in nature. Original peoples certainly didn't need them to understand birth control, conservation, spirit, or how to accommodate difference.
      >
      > My empathy with "army" lies specifically with soldiers themselves and not the logistical, mechanical efficiency of what transpires militarily but the obvious mental toll on combatants and broken communities. Ideas send people to battle, bring them home, and provide for reassessment of not only the price of war, but of its cost.
      >
      > Modern communities are bound by both specific and less cogent ideals but come in several guises: war veterans, stock markets, medical associations, banks, sports, internet forums, etc. This is not a post-ideological or post-political age but a cynical age, one of disavowal and incoherence. We say we're individual but depend on others, willingly or reluctantly.
      >
      > Mary
      > Mary, As I would expect you have never found a tree you wouldn`t hug. Mary, cactus live!Orders send soldiers to war,bring them home and civilian authorities issue such orders and reassesments. On opposite poles Spaznitz and idealistic pacifists fail because of ideology. Reliance on natural forces,identified poeticly, is a great way to starve or get eaten.
      The State Dept. oversees American conduct outside our borders. I know Hillary Clinton is no pacifist but know she holds back Special Operations soldiers from some assinations. Spaznitz have a good bit of trouble with rogue elements that sidestep civilian authority. When Obams and Clinton set togeather to watch the demise of Osama we saw the proper application of deadly force. All possibilities for suprise were maintained and our tactical troops prevailed. That was not cynical or incoherant but modernism at its razor best. Bill
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thoraeu bothered me with his naive depection of the wild world. I was usually more concerned with weaponry than with poetry. Survival is the beginning of wisdom and giving the other side time to orient, time to attack is just not good survival tactics.
      > > I am so impressed by the US withdrawal in Iraque. We are all but out and the media is just printing the withdrawal news. Great Armies can move fast and powerfully and our logistic people have scored a hat trick. That kind of preformance is what could set me toward an idealistic swoon. The best Army in the world can move like a cat in the night. Hey, which side you on? Bill

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic