56290Hegel's modernity

    Nov 8, 2011
      Bill,

      When Wil wrote...

      "Physics within the last few decades has more or less confirmed that what we commonly understand as real is only apparently so, while at the same time this apparent reality is the one we insist on as our local reality where we have to live. But below the Planck numbers, contemporary physics is faced with describing a subtending reality that has no space or time, no objects, nothing to see, nothing to describe. The manifest world that we know is thus one that is constructing and deconstructing according to conditions that entail because nothing entails its except a rational necessity -- rational as knowable by our own rational mind, likewise reflecting the logic of ontology.

      This open system is its freedom, if one that finds itself in its very difficulties."

      ... he made the link between Hegel and modern physics. Hegel gave primacy to reason, not its practical application for weapons of mass destruction, but its description and dynamic relationship with science itself. Nietzsche and Sartre had opposing concepts of freedom, and if they had looked at the same scientific facts would have interpreted them completely differently, applying them to their political preferences. With Hegel thought is absolute.