56280Re: no sidewinder

  • William
    Nov 2, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > It would be terribly dishonest of kind people to deny they struggle with others or for contentious people to deny their softer moments. As you say, we have proclivities, but nobody is strictly one dimensional. If so, pure kindness is as monstrous as pure cruelty as Lautreamont skillfully demonstrated in his only two works.
      >
      > Though I'm not beyond objectifying Mr. Depp, I think Thompson helped blur the boundary between counter-culture and bourgeoisie, probably not his intent, but certainly not conducive to any real political progress.
      >
      > It's peculiar how distinction often becomes commonplace and boring, almost herd like. That, or people have more in common than they think they do. The not so greats are easily imitated while the truly great are still being deciphered.
      >
      > Mary
      > Mary, I would ask, in your association with JPS ,if you found undecifered greatness or just obfuscation and over verbosity. The longer I live the less greatness I observe. Fn had the seminal ideas of modernism and since I view modernism as the last great philosophical leap forward FN becomes great. Now Sartre, or Heidegger or Alan Greenspan,well no,not great. Einstien is a great but Linus Pauling or Neils Bohr just do not make it. Picasso excites feelings in me but they are just feelings while Da Vince had drawings but most of the machines did not work and were never built.
      Now Hunter Thompson wrote two books of note but great, I think not. Small,segmental ideas have pushed the species onward but the seminal papers of Einstein or the concept of rational atheism by Fn have changed the course of history. I think the changes have to be positive so even though Hitler changed history there is no greatness in going madly off course. Celebrating the segmental ideas has its dangers as reversals are common in all fields besides science. Was Steve Jobs great ? No,not for me I have never owned one of his machines in fact the whole silicone revolution was more about combining past machines than about building genius inventions.
      I do not know if combining counter culture ideas with bourgous values has any value. Much of the counter culture was as insipid as the middle class sameness it tried to replace. I do not find Jane Fonda or Westmorland to be great. If Obams wrests the nation from unrestrained capitalism he can be great if what he replaces it with is better. If all he causes is chaos he come closer to Hitler than Jefferson.
      Last night I saw Steve Miller and I would go as far to say he is a great rock and roller but what has rock and roll really done ? Bill
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The number of posts are far down,thus the winding down. I considered the future of the cosmos,thus the winding out. I agree there will be progress beyond Einstein, that stasis is impossible and so I am no sidewinder. It seems a reevaluation of the neutrino super speeders has lessened confidence in anything going faster than light. CERN is backing off the claim .
      > > I have always seen nihilism as a effect of the refusal to recognise god. Belief had been inculcated most deeply in mankind and its deflation threw a great many into a sort of philosophical paralysis. The luke warm protestants on this list have not recovered yet and they pine for their rocked ribbed security. Sorry sons of the parsonage, its is gone forever. They are like the sons of marx, they just can`t accept that communism is dead. So we end up athiest with a protestant hangover that leaves us with these agnostic whiners. Christian burial and veneration of spirtual objects remain for the clod heads but the non competative waste of such weak witchcraft will wear them and the practical believers out.
      > > I plan to enjoy the process and will revel in handing out candy,tonight to the little pagans. They get the good candy from me. Bill

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic