56234Re: Zizek on divine violence

  • William
    Sep 28, 2011

      > Mary,
      >
      > Thanks for your comments. I very much agree with what you say.
      >
      > It is up to us and our fellow citizens at the grass-roots level to get more involved in local decision-making and for us to put pressure on those at the top to respond to the demands of justice and progressive thinking.
      >
      > Jim

      Jim, grassroots movements are often unstable and can run out of control. Look at the tea party, now it has morphed into a get Obama movement but on the way to this temporary meaning we have suffered a great deal of political damage. Those who seek local office can begin by wishing to be of service but underlying political motives often come to the surface. I strongly agree that if you want to get into politics you should run for office. Many people cannot run and working from the sidelines is most difficult. Dilitantte ad hoc movements grow in such vacuumes and morph wildly as membership developes. Look at the history of the Order of hibernians or the friendly sons of St. Patrick. Some stupid drinking club ends up the Nazi party but for what reason? Research Hell`s Angels and think of the crimes done in the name of a former fighter pilots group. SDS went terrorist and some of the catholic conservative groups have not even been infiltrated. If you want to meet new friends I would recommend Kiwanis,not radical political activists. Bill
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic