55975Re: Le Tour de France

    Jul 10, 2011
      Bill,

      I disagree, and although there is no dogma, there are several concepts which define existentialism. Thomas Flynn writes:

      There are five basic themes that the existentialist appropriates each in his or her own way. Rather than constituting a strict definition of `existentialist', they depict more of a family resemblance (a crisscrossing and overlapping of the themes) among these philosophers.

      1. Existence precedes essence. What you are (your essence) is the result of your choices (your existence) rather than the reverse. Essence is not destiny. You are what you make yourself to be.

      2. Time is of the essence. We are fundamentally time-bound beings. Unlike measurable, `clock' time, lived time is qualitative: the `not yet', the `already', and the `present' differ among themselves in meaning and value.

      3. Humanism. Existentialism is a person-centred philosophy. Though not anti-science, its focus is on the human individual's pursuit of identity and meaning amidst the social and economic pressures of mass society for superficiality and conformism.

      4. Freedom/responsibility. Existentialism is a philosophy of freedom. Its basis is the fact that we can stand back from our lives and reflect on what we have been doing. In this sense, we are always `more' than ourselves. But we are as responsible as we are free.

      5. Ethical considerations are paramount. Though each existentialist understands the ethical, as with `freedom', in his or her own way, the underlying concern is to invite us to examine the authenticity of our personal lives and of our society.

      I think the competitive sports metaphor merely represents one aspect of human experience, that of transferring into specific activities those parts of human nature best focused and set aside for aggression or joy of competition, if that's one's predilection.

      > Mary and Herman, I see sport as a reprsentation of life in general. It seems all organisms compete for food and with base organisms that usually involves killing then eating. I have known many people,mostly those who term themselves intellectuals, think this primative and backward. They take survival for granted and look down on competition.
      > Yesterday I was having drinks with a head football coach of a Pac ten team. A soccer match was on the tube and he was amased that the score ended up 1-0 decided by a free kick. It escaped both of us why anyone would play or watch such a game. He thinks that only in the blood sports is the metaphore of life maintained. He thinks we need high risk competition to maintain ourselves as a species. Only there,besides war, do we find out what we have regarding courage and strength. He agreed with me that the educational system has devolved away from grades and curve based competativism toward a all pass ,low energy walk into oblivion.
      > I like existentialism because it has little or no dogma. It allows you to compete in the world with no god insisting on rules and no priests intrepeting god`s word. The French with their individual sports of a most dangerous nature remain near the pinnacle . In team sports my coach friend sees ice hockey as the most telling sport. As with the god metaphore he thinks non interferance by officials to be critical to free competition.
      > So I think existentialism permits clean competition with minimal intreference from anything but the laws of the state and the laws of science. If the state is a representative democracy then people can move freely within their framework to compete for the worlds goods and services and that promotes progress and prosperity. Bill

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic