55974Le Tour de France

  • William
    Jul 10, 2011
      Mary and Herman, I see sport as a reprsentation of life in general. It seems all organisms compete for food and with base organisms that usually involves killing then eating. I have known many people,mostly those who term themselves intellectuals, think this primative and backward. They take survival for granted and look down on competition.
      Yesterday I was having drinks with a head football coach of a Pac ten team. A soccer match was on the tube and he was amased that the score ended up 1-0 decided by a free kick. It escaped both of us why anyone would play or watch such a game. He thinks that only in the blood sports is the metaphore of life maintained. He thinks we need high risk competition to maintain ourselves as a species. Only there,besides war, do we find out what we have regarding courage and strength. He agreed with me that the educational system has devolved away from grades and curve based competativism toward a all pass ,low energy walk into oblivion.
      I like existentialism because it has little or no dogma. It allows you to compete in the world with no god insisting on rules and no priests intrepeting god`s word. The French with their individual sports of a most dangerous nature remain near the pinnacle . In team sports my coach friend sees ice hockey as the most telling sport. As with the god metaphore he thinks non interferance by officials to be critical to free competition.
      So I think existentialism permits clean competition with minimal intreference from anything but the laws of the state and the laws of science. If the state is a representative democracy then people can move freely within their framework to compete for the worlds goods and services and that promotes progress and prosperity. Bill
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic