55937Re: Green Jahaad

  • William
    Jun 8, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > If you are referring to "Green Jihad" in Forbes by Joel Kotkin, I found it to be preaching to the deregulation choir. I agree with Zizek and others who think a genuine environmental agenda won't succeed without dismantling global corporatism. As your example of the Cairo recyclers who are being squeezed out at the expense of real sanitation shows, "The man's too big, the man's too strong."
      >
      > Mary
      > Mary, Yes that is the article and deregulation would make sense as a financial pages position. I think we are lucky to have the two sides mentioned working to dilute the effects of a tyrrany by either position.
      The Cairo garbage matter leaves me with few positive thoughts. The multinationals are paying bribes to do the sanitation and recycle only 20% while the traditional garbage people claim 80% recycling. It is difficult to see either side as having great positive results. The garbage people are so absymal that I could not sanction that level of existance. The multi nationals just want a bottom line and could care less for the indegenous people.
      I know some think the Arab spring a great boon to the Arab peoples and the west. I think that most simplistic as the entire Islamic world has millenia of change to absorb but little time left on the cateclism clock. Now Zizek may be correct regarding the demise of the multinationals being necessary for enviromental goals to be met but how long can he hold his breath? The antithetical positions must compromise or one side must win. The environmentalists do not have the economic power to win and the multinationals seem a more probable winner. By then we may have burned ourselves off the planet. Who does the sanitation in Cairo is secondary to them breeding themselves into oblivion. Thay are now under marshal law with no viable government. The muslim brotherhood is the only viable party so it seems we are gaining little ground there. As we leave Iraque and Afganistan the nation building will dry up and those ancient peoples and systems slide back not forge ahead. The only solution seems to be the sand will come up to swallow them thats if we do not nuke them first. Bill
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <josephson45r@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Bill,
      > > >
      > > > Are you talking about eco-terrorism, which is fundamentalism, or the creation and marketing of environmentally friendly alternative products, which doesn't sound particularly threatening to me. Commodification of nature is high priest, and we both its victims and victimizers.
      > > >
      > > > Mary
      > > > Mary, neither. I am talking about the use of environmental themes to promote narrow individual enterprise. It seems these entropeneurs know that by pushing some buttons a known faction responds in a robotic fashon. They respond in a faith like manner with little reflection but high predictability. They could be called tree huggers but this new group just go to war upon pushing their buttons.
      > > I do agree that these issues are all about perspective yet it is possible to understand both sides of the issue. The california environmentalists were singled out by finantial media who pointed out how faith like activism caused reverse consequences for the activists but usually benefitted the monitarily invested parties. It was an example of faith based foolishness gone full circle to hurt the eco faithful. I found it strange and interesting. Bill

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic