55261Re: Changes to existlist

  • Jim
    Apr 3 1:44 AM
      Herman,

      If I recall we had this conversation about two years ago.

      I agree Aristotle had a moral blind spot when it came to slaves (and women), and this blind spot is a serious blight on his ethics as a whole.

      However, Aristotle was no individualist. He argued that the good life could only occur within the polis, i.e. within a `civilised' state where there was respect almost equals and all contributed to the governance of the state.

      I would extend Aristotle's idea of the polis to the whole of humankind. My ability to live the good life does not just depend on whether I can manifest personal virtues, it also depends on the levels of unhappiness and injustice in my community.

      Jim

      > Hi Jim,
      >
      > Forgive my quick response :-). I was finishing another post, when I caught
      > this post.
      >
      > On 3 April 2011 17:57, Jim <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Herman,
      > >
      > > Following Aristotle, a virtue is a character trait which contributes to, or
      > > is an element of, the good life. And the good life is the environment where
      > > there is general well-being and the people are happy and flourish.
      > >
      > > Aristotle spoke only for the elite of the elite. The realisation of his
      > virtues demand an entire system of appropriation. There is nothing general
      > about his general well-being. That is why the societies that fashioned
      > themselves after "the Greeks" were just like them. The slavers of the modern
      > world were as interested in general well-being as Aristotle.
      >
      > Sorry :-)
      >
      > Cheers
      >

      > Herman

    • Show all 41 messages in this topic