54628Re: The Mask of Multiculturalism

    Feb 7, 2011
      Being neither discursive, nor attempting to represent a particular philosopher's positiions, I simply intended to stimulate a discussion about a matter which affects everyone. Alterity is a fundamental obstacle to peace and prosperity. The idea of confronting one's own racism and beliefs before projecting or imposing tolerance on others seems wise. Difference identity and cooperation are tau(gh)t. The excluded perpetually serve to increase the ranks of the included, unless of course, there is a powerful agenda to the contrary.

      Thanks for your input,

      > It seems to me that the issue of multiculturalism is different from the issue of immigration policy.
      > As I have said before on this list, I am against unlimited immigration, as large movements of population can be destabilising to a country, especially one with a weak economy.
      > I am generally in favour of multiculturalism, although I am against religious schools – whether Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or Christian.
      > Rather inconsistently our Prime Minister David Cameron seems to be in favour of religious schools but against multiculturalism.
      > Generally my reaction to Cameron's speech matches that of The Independent's Yasmin Aibhai-Brown writing today. See:
      > http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/yasmin-alibhaibrown-david-camerons-message-is-that-muslims-are-not-wanted-2206381.html
      > Jim
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic