      From: eupraxis@...
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:10 AM
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Up with American regionalism

      Bill,

      Of course the Monroe Doctrine concerned the prevention of Western European countries from further exercising their influence in Latin America. That little bit of presumption has had the cumulative effect of keeping many lands to the south of us in bitter poverty and at the mercy of dictators and US exploitation until recent times. The idea was that South America was in some way "American". In these times, and long past the Barbary Wars, no such claim can be made concerning Egypt, of all places, even by those who try to channel Monroe.

      "Doctrines" like the aforementioned one require a 'pre-historical' populous; that is to say an underdeveloped circumstance capable of being the brunt of such paternalism. It also requires conditions for its possibility. Neither are the case here.

      Wil