54591Re: Down with American imperialism!

  • Louise
    Jan 31, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > You write:
      >
      > "I might not side with Keller about the wars but at a time when there is great unease I would like to hear a clear American perspective. … This is a huge and enticing world problem that involves us all.Big history,big decisions."
      >
      > I completely disagree. Why do we need a "clear American perspective"? The unrest in Egypt has nothing to do with the USA. Yes, the dictator's army and police force uses US weapons to kill unarmed civilians, and the US probably needs to get its own citizens out of the country, but after that the USA needs to keep out of other people's business.
      >
      > There are big decisions for the Egyptian people to make, but no big decisions for the USA to make.
      >
      > The more the US interferes in Egypt and the Middle East in general, the more al-Qaeda and other fundamentalist Muslim groups benefit. Al-Qaeda is an American invention.

      Jim, If the Americans had "invented" al-Qaida, they would have given it a more pronounceable name. The abandonment of the mujahideen may have proved disastrous to US interests, but this does not indicate that bin Laden and thousands of others, of similar mind, lack agency. I feel a certain distrust of that last clause, since it reminds me a little of the kind of arguments one hears from Tony Blair, but that is only association, and does not put me in his camp. Otherwise, I broadly agree with you. Where is hope to be found? Isn't it amazing, in a sense, that self-sufficiency is so radical a doctrine? The whole idea of a global village is a perilous rhetoric, it seems to me, in this context. Louise

      > The USA needs to learn to be self-sufficient in both food and energy, then it won't need to "control" countries on the other side of the world. Down with American imperialism!
      >
      > Jim

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic