      From: Jim
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 12:49 PM
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Happy Nothing-New-Year

      Tom, Mary,

      Thank you for your responses.

      Yes, like you both I do not favour violent revolution to overthrow our less-than-perfect liberal democracy. My fear would be that violent revolution would result in something much worse than what we have at present.

      I hope that citizens do start talking to each other more, and listening to the distorted messages of the media moguls less, and that regeneration of Western society from the bottom up can become a reality.

      I agree that Zizek can be provocative and playful in his writings and that it is probably not a good idea to take everything he writes as literal truth.

      I wish you both, and Wil and Bill and Louise and Knott and Irvin a happy and healthy new year, and my hope if that your posts will intrigue me, inspire me, annoy me, challenge me, and perplex me just as much in 2011, as they have done in 2010.

      Jim