54043Meandering Thoughts? Re: Updated Sources List

  • PoetCSW
    Dec 4, 2010
      Bill:

      I don't understand any of this. Then again, I don't grasp much of what appears on the Exist List anymore. It seems, to borrow from Camus, an absurdity to try. I kicked / banned several "users" yesterday to no avail -- but I'm not about to moderate every message or user. Closing the list membership would likely kill the list, if my experience on other lists is indicative. Most Yahoo Groups seem to be dying, anywayÂ… lost to the world of blogs, Tweets, and RSS feeds.

      The website is being maintained, with some effort, as I consider the site a more practical use of my energy than reading this Yahoo Group at the moment. I'm sure the group will return to being engaging at some point.

      I updated the resources page on The Existential Primer because some people (I hope) would like to know what books are available on the topic, such as the latest analyses of Hegel's influence on politics to texts on science and existentialism. It took me several days to update the book list, so I wanted to share it with others.

      It is a personal list, in that they are books I have used as references.

      As for the strange comments in your note:

      I'm agnostic, bordering on what might be considered atheistic. How does Judaism fit into anything I do on The Existential Primer? My family hasn't been "Jewish" for almost a century.

      Yes, I am an autism researcher, specializing in language development. Again, how is being curious about the brain at odds with philosophical curiosity? I wonder how people construct self-awareness and awareness of "The Other." Autism and numerous other neurological conditions affect human interactions in interesting ways.

      How does any of this relate to updating The Existential Primer? I'm working on the website, maybe a page a week or so. The site pre-dates the mailing list, which was created because the "guestbook" and other site features were flooded. The Yahoo Group was created as an adjunct to the site, but then the list took on its own life.

      The list worked well for many years, with some strained periods. It seems to be going through another bad spell. That's the nature of any mailing list.

      If people want to form a virtual book club, that would be one way to keep the list on topic. Other than make such suggestions, I'm not going to try to force the matter.

      Don't have the foggiest clue what else you are trying to say or ask.

      - C. S. Wyatt

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "PoetCSW" <existlist1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been updating the resources list for The Existential Primer:
      > >
      > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/sources.shtml
      > >
      > > This is a list of the sources cited, not a complete reference list. I only add to the sources page when I edit the other pages. The page should take another three or four days before I have all the links to Amazon added.
      > >
      > > As always, I appreciate any catches of typos or other errors.
      > >
      > > I have also been working on the introductory pages. Those pages are always changing, to reflect new (used) book purchases.
      > >
      > > - C. S. Wyatt
      > >
      > Wyatt, Having read your current escapades in internet games I must admit you have passed far behind. Your old lady, susie,is really not up to carring the ax and neither are you.I understand you cannot write but that is not our fault. You allow your site to become a mad nest of mysticism and non existential mania.
      > Now on topic I watched a concert by James Talor and Carol King. Now he pretends to like her and she, he but just like you, she and he are beyond humanism and live to be whatever they consider artists to be. Please do not hide behind judaism or autism, both are excuses for lack of understanding in a cold world.Those great musicians are part of recorded history but know so are we who have been your celebrants. You and Dick can go wrap yourselfs in mad ego, the rest of the writing will sort itself out as evolution demands. I know you are one of the gifted that need not defend their thoughts but even the university needs mors spine then that. I do not have poor thoughts of you and perhaps you are the future truth. If you do not think that way why would you carry this on? Ego and survival, my friend, are proper motives. Beyond morality, Wyatt, what are the complexities of survival.
      > Is it worth it? Have you had the barrel at your temple? You spoke of pain, describe it and react to it for us. If you lead do so from the front or say hello to the new. Bill

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic