      From: Herman <hhofmeister@...>
      To: existlist <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sat, Jul 31, 2010 7:07 pm
      Subject: [existlist] Know your agnosias

      Hi all,

      Theoretical physics has it's place amongst the sciences because it

      frames it's hypothesis in a way that renders them potentially

      testable. Metaphysics, on the other hand, must forever remain

      other-worldly, because the objects of it's study are born in thought,

      and thus forever defy inspection. Metaphysics, ultimately, is the

      study of words in terms of words. Ho Hum. I don't intend to

      participate in that vein anymore.

      Now, to the clinic of life. How is it that metaphysicians (sic) are

      able to whittle away their time in their fashion? What does it take to

      become a metaphysician? Perhaps we should ask someone with Wernicke's

      aphasia to comment on the "ontological character of rationality itself

      which proceeds by the necessary character of truth functions." The

      following is an excerpt from Wikipedia on this syndrome:

      "Speech is preserved, but language content is incorrect. This may vary

      from the insertion of a few incorrect or nonexistent words to a

      profuse outpouring of jargon. Grammar, syntax, rate, intonation and

      stress are normal. Substitutions of one word for another (paraphasias,

      e.g. “telephone” for “television”) are common. Comprehension and

      repetition are poor.

      Example:

      I called my mother on the television and did not understand the door.

      It was too breakfast, but they came from far to near. My mother is not

      too old for me to be young.

      Patients who recover from Wernicke’s aphasia report that, while

      aphasic, they found the speech of others to be unintelligible and,

      despite being cognizant of the fact that they were speaking, they

      could neither stop themselves nor understand their own words.

      The ability to understand and repeat songs is usually unaffected, as

      these are processed by the opposite hemisphere. Melodic intonation

      therapy(MIT) has been pursued for some years with aphasic patients

      under the belief that it helps stimulate the ability to speak

      normally. There is some question as to the effectiveness of MIT. But

      more recent, and more rigorously conducted, research has revealed that

      MIT can be very effective at recovering language function.

      Patients also generally have no trouble purposefully reciting anything

      they have memorized. The ability to utter profanity is also left

      unaffected, however the patient typically has no control over it, and

      may not even understand their own profanity.

      If Wernicke’s area is damaged in the non-dominant hemisphere, the

      syndrome resulting will be sensory dysprosody — the inability to

      perceive the pitch, rhythm, and emotional tone of speech.

      ----end quote

      But then again, maybe it would be cruel to ask someone with Wernicke's

      aphasia to comment on what never had any meaning.

      Polly

      Individual Email | Traditional

      (Yahoo! ID required)

      existlist-digest@yahoogroups.com