51410Re: Difference

  • Jim
    Apr 5, 2010
      Hi biggie,

      I agree that from a point of view at the end of the universe, or even outside the universe, human life on earth is but a meaningless spec.

      However, the outside-of-the-universe point of view is not the only point of view. Each of us has our own subjective point of view, and these points of view clash on an internet forum like this one.

      There is also a third point of view. This is a point of view from within human life, but not tied to any one person. Perhaps one could call it the point of view of humanity.

      It is from this human perspective that the ethical comes into view. Anyone who is capable of abstracting away from their own personal perspective, and has a sensitivity to what makes for flourishing human lives, and what makes for damaged, painful human lives, can take up this point of view.

      From this point of view ethical truths can come into view, such truths as "it is better to be kind than it is to be cruel" or "it is better if adults do not have sex with children".

      The point of view from outside the universe, which you presuppose, is a fully objective point of view. The point of view of the single individual is a fully subjective point of view. The point of view of humanity has both objective and subjective elements, sharing characteristics of the other two points of view.

      This point of view is rejected by Bill and Mary because, in my view, they are scientistic, that is, they believe that the only truths there are are those of the sciences. Perhaps you also believe that if science cannot measure it, it doesn't exist.

      Jim
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic