51115Re: Nihilism, Nietzsche and creating values

  • Jim
    Mar 3, 2010
      Wil,

      I find a tension between Nietzsche's idea of the `free spirit' who creates his life as a work of art and your take on Nietzsche's free spirit as the pawn of historical necessity.

      I am not saying you are wrong, but do you think there is a very close connection between Nietzsche's idea of will to power and Hegel's idea of the rational necessity of history?

      Jim

      > Hb3g: This is will to life, which is will to power, which is the work of freedom in the world, at first, only nascent, as life evolves, then, with that mysterious "rupture" of, or "upsurge" from, the plenitude or in-itself-ness of being, with that necessitated, but somehow groundless, advent of... personhood in the world, a Dasein, or a for-itselfness factically comes to pass, and freedom now comes into its own, and it becomes its own reality, which is, I think, fundamentally, the surpassability of limit, the ability to renegotiate the boundary conditions of life, and, the necessity, that valuation always be... transvaluation.
      >
      > Response: Yes, I like this characterization. It brings to mind Hegel in some respects, and also colors my reading of the latter. I see "Reason" and "Will-to-Power" as expressions of the same necessity. In Nietzsche, however, there is less propensity to over-idealize the concept into a deity, as many Hegelians still do, depressingly enough. This characterization also shows hot the "out of nothing" idea is foreign to Nietzsche, as a transvaluation is always movement of freedom from 'something'.
      >
      > Wil

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic