50141Re: [existlist] Re: Down the rabbit hole

  • Herman
    Jan 8, 2010
      Mary,

      Hatred, like certainty, is a possible way of living one's moment, of
      being in situation. There isn't a need to live any moment in any
      particular way, yet each moment is lived with an attitude toward it.
      Whichever attitude is adopted from moment to moment becomes
      intelligible through, and indeed lays bare, an underlying value system
      that precedes the attitude. The adoption of the attitude is justified
      by the ethics that are in place. Does it need to be that way? As long
      as there is a meaningful distinction between an act and an event, I'd
      say yes. And whether an action is considered normal or not depends
      entirely on the value system of the group in the context of which that
      act takes place.

      Perhaps I am attempting to define, but that would be in an effort to
      "make intelligible". In that I am not alone. In fact, I doubt very
      much that any adult lives their moments without some attempt from time
      to time to causally connect the dots. One does not experience
      causation, one understands it. I don't need to have been there
      witnessing my parents copulating in order to understand that I am the
      fruit of their loins. And the same applies to them, and their parents
      etc, in a regression that has no beginning.

      Would you also agree that chemical processes are the foundation for
      pleasure and pain?

      Polly