49328Re: I dunno

  • shadowed_statue
    Oct 1, 2009
      > The original ideas were the product of a person looking within for truth, but in a short time they become creeds that are substitutes for introspection.

      Tom, I guess this is how I feel about people's unofficial religions, including all that "working class hero" sort of stuff. The trouble with original ideas is that they often lead to a massed assault on the originator, which may take a very civilised form, such as a jury trial and a dose of hemlock, or a well-organised auto-da-fe. Or, coming closer to the present, a camp for purposes of re-education. As Solzhenitsyn pointed out, the peoples of the West will only learn about totalitarian ideas by hard experience. Louise
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic