48824Re: [existlist] Essential and extant

  • tom
    Jul 31, 2009
      Hi Bill,

      You wrote

      . I do agree with Dick that the competition for essentials has always been the great prod of existence. We evolve into some vaguely defined niche and then compete there for survival until external factors force drastic, perhaps deadly change.

      Interestingly, in US and Europe today with various forms of welfare and assistance, competition for essentials is no longer a factor in natural selection. Certainly in the USA, the segments of the population on public assistance generally reproduce at a much higher rate than other segments that are much more economically fit for the environment.I am not arguing for or against such agenda, but merely stating that the paradigms that apply to natural selection in nature, the third world, and up to maybe the New Deal days in the US are no longer relevent for natural selection among humans in the more developed parts of the world.Hopefully, evolution of humans can move from natural selection to various means of furthering human physical, social, and psychological evolution. Certainly, the task of humanity for the next century is to attempt to increase our wisdom as rapidly as we increase our technology.

      A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem.
      Albert Einstein

      "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.Einstein

      This next Einstein quote doesn't particularly fit this discussion, but I'll share it anyway.

      A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
      Albert Einstein

      Peace,
      Tom