47912Re: The functions of thinking

  • devogney
    Apr 28, 2009
      -Louise,

      I very much agree with your statement Political suppression is ignored and denied, so that what claims to be science may only be a highly selective application of focussed intelligence.

      The results of scientific studies to a large extent will be the results that the organization funding the study desires.In the US over the last 35 years or so, a good example is studies on pot smoking funded by the Drug Enforcement Administration.Any study funded by the DEA that found anything good about pot would never be published, and certainly the scientist would have lost a source of future funding. Likewise, any studies comparing different races or the 2 sexes, if the results come out wrong will subject the scientist to charges of racism or sexism.Certainly political and economic factors play a large role in what studies are done, what criteria are compared, and the conclusions reached.
      Tom

      -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@...> wrote:

      > Still attempting to get a purchase on the basics. How to discriminate different realms of concern. As an example, a recent reference, the question arising, what is an Anglo-Saxon? This is not a biological category. However, the further question arises, as to the superstitious and magical nature of science, to which I have referred also. Political suppression is ignored and denied, so that what claims to be science may only be a highly selective application of focussed intelligence. To become a 'scientist', one must pass certain tests of social acceptability, which are cultural or quasi-religious, and may be themselves highly unscientific. What responsibilities are involved in philosophising? What is the relevance, if any, of courtesy? May one only be a contemporary existentialist if developing a certain toughness or dexterity, or does the acquisition of such skill vitiate the quality of thought itself?
      >
      > Louise

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic