      From: Herman B. Triplegood <hb3g@...>
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 8:36 am
      Subject: [existlist] Re: The functions of thinking

      What is philosophy? Doctrine? Theory? Method?

      Or attitude?

      That's my favorite right there. Philosophy is, more than anything else, an attitude.

      What kind of attitude? A freedom thinking attitude. A freedom affirming attitude. That's my opinion anyway.

      For what it's worth...

      Okay...

      What does philosophy get in exchange for its attitude? Knowledge? Certainty? Understanding?

      I think it gets only just a little bit in those three areas. I think that the lion's share of what philosophy gets in exchange for its freedom thinking attitude is...well...insight.

      Pure and simple. Deep clarity. That's good enough for me. In fact, it is way more than enough.

      I have a special place in my heart for the concept of insight. As far as I know, only hegel has directly addressed it...in the Phenomenology. Insight. The heart and soul
      of philosophy. The meaning of enlightenment.

      But hey...

      This is all just my own personal gig on the matter. And I am pretty sure there are plenty of people out there who would disagree with me on what philosophy is. Oh well. You can't please everybody can you? And we don't all have to think the same. Nor do we all have to arrive at the very same insights either.

      To hell with orthodoxy. That's what I say. Individuality, in thought and action, is in the end, I think, its very own reward.

      Hb3g