47237Re: Freedom versus determinism

    Mar 1, 2009
      This post is totally off-topic. From past experience, all questions
      are answered in self-referential manner, as though only forms of
      existential enquiry approved by Chris Lofting himself will receive any
      attention. Persistent enquiry will yield to loss of surface aplomb
      and retreat to juvenile mockery. All of this should not go unnoticed.
      The general habit of thought is cultic and subtly (for those who are
      attracted by technocratic expression) subversive of humane values.
      That is, what may please some may easily damage others. This is
      evidently characteristic of institutional religions and sects in
      general, which is why open enquiry and intelligent satire is a
      desirable part of a free society. I maintain, however, that there is
      very little understanding, in mainstream Western cultures, of the
      major religious traditions, and that this accounts for the frequent
      failures of comprehension when 'believers' debate with 'sceptics' or
      'atheists'. Courtesy is not a superficial social practice. It has
      evolved over long centuries of conflict and the hurt that arises from
      conflict. Feelings are important, even though it may not be possible
      in many cases to respect the arguments of those with different
      beliefs. The complexity and tension of awareness involved is
      desirable. It is part of civilised living.

      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "chris lofting" <lofting@...> wrote:

> [...]
      Darwin's
      > mutation now internalised and working 24/7.
      >
      > > I think
      > > that for some endeavors determisism can be a paradigm that
      > > allows us to perceive directions and progressions.Whereas in
      > > many other areas of life, the paradigm of freedom is a more
      > > empowering mode. I understand in quantum physics, that in one
      > > mode the universe can be seen as one energy wave, and in
      > > another mode it is seen as particles.
      > >

      > This is a product of methodology where we cover precision vs
      approximation
      > in the context of acts of mediation. As such HOW you observe
      determines WHAT
      > you observe. Nothing magical about that once you understand the
      dynamics of
      > meaning derivation in the presence of indeterminacy. The wave/particle
      > duality issue is built-in to our methods of processing information
      and so
      > will appear in experiments that touch on such in high precision
      across the
      > microcosm, mesocosm, macrocosm. QM has been demanding of our
      intellects and
      > so we project all possible forms of interpretation onto our
      experiments and
      > then get surprised with the findings where such reflect more a
      failure to
      > understand our methodology in processing information.
      >
      > > I believe the freedom to have things both ways, or maybe even
      > > three or four ways is very much a part of the evolution of
      > > human freedom itself.
      >
      > ? consciousness actually LIMITS freedom buy reducing the degrees of
      freedom
      > available - it serves to suppress/repress and as such covers top-down
      > dynamics of regulation to aid in making the 'best fit' choices.
      Since the
      > brain can only deal with 7+/-2 concepts at the same time, so as we work
      > through choices we drop some to pick up others - given lots of
      others this
      > can be experienced consciously as lots of choices being available -
      and if
      > one is ignorant of unconscious activity then a spanner can be thrown
      into
      > the works very quickly.
      >
      > Our more differentiating parts of the brain work of probabilistic
      thinking,
      > subjective probabilities (Bayesian statistics), high risk, partials
      focus,
      > anti-symmetric. The subjectivity sorts the set of posssibles into a
      > dimension from 'best fit' to 'worst fit'. Objectivity is useful to
      aid in
      > refining the subjectivity and so making the dimension better fit
      'reality as
      > is'.
      >
      > The more choices in the set of probabilities means we exceed that 7+/-2
      > limit. We are naturally attracted to the 'best fit' end of the
      dimension and
      > so work from there 'down'. The point is that ALL of the dimension
      applies to
      > a moment such that elements of the 'worst fit' can still contribute in a
      > small way to the WHOLE experience and we can, do, often miss this
      (unless
      > one is naturally anxious and so uses imagination to try and cover all
      > possibilities - but this can lead to a failure to act!)
      >
      > Chris
      > http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/AbstractDomain.html

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic