      From: rtherriault@...
      To: existlist ; basic_existentialism
      Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 2:26 PM
      Subject: [existlist] authenticity

      I think there were basically two general themes which I remember from studying Existentialism: Death and Authenticity.

      There seems to be some kind of basic contradiction in the lives of a great number of people. We go through great lengths examining such things as gold and diamonds and works of Art and facts of Science and paper money, in an effort to determine their authenticity (realness) and to prevent any counterfeiting, Yet we take great pride in our own lives that we are able to put on masks and appear as something we are not. We take great pride in being fakes and counterfeits. Why is this?

      Is it simply a case of the Real vs Phony, the Philosopher vs Sophist? Are Real people just hopeless Romantics, Romeos and Juliets, heading for a sad ending? Is Reality just an illusion? Are Realists headed for a great disillusionment? Is Life just "The Greatest Show on Earth?" Is this "The Reality?"

      Your Friendly Philosopher,

      Bob T

      http://www.anecdotalstories.blogspot.com
      http://www.stairwaytoparadise.blogspot.com