      From: Herman B. Triplegood
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:22 PM
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Archetypical fairy stories. from decovney post

      Well, I have given a lot of my time to the study of mythology, symbols,
      religions of the world, and a bunch of other things along those lines
      too.

      How about this question? What does existentialism have to do with ...
      mythology? Or is that just a bit too old-fashioned for an ultra-modern
      and "oh so sophisticated" list all about what be the "happening thing"
      right now?

      I say, mythology,. instead of Thor, or Odin, to emphasize just this
      little point. I am not as naive as some might think when it comes to
      those kinds of things. Even those people who say they "believe" in such
      things, deep down inside, know better than that. They know they have
      invented it. They made it all up. Or somebody did.

      I'll take a little bitty stab at it right here.

      What the two (existentialism & mythology) have in common is ... well,
      man! That's what! They are both made up. By man. They are both likely
      or unlikely stories. Told by man. They are both, whether they know it
      or not, whether they affirm or deny it ... well, metaphysical accounts
      of human existence in some form or another.

      Man. The metaphysical animal. Man. The myth maker. Man. The
      existentialist. Man buries the dead, and he tells stories about them.
      Man asks, "Why?" Man asks, "Why me?"

      It all goes together. Life is not encountered, pre-packaged, with
      everything separated into nice little distinct compartments, from the
      get go. We do that. After the fact.

      It is an interesting twist, I think, that in good old Immanuel's
      supposedly dry and dusty old Critique of Pure Reason, it is the answer
      to the big question about metaphysics that he is really after there,
      and the answer he comes up with, framed at the very heart of the book,
      turns out to be all about these things:

      Imagination.
      Time.

      What these two things have to do with knowledge and freedom.

      And why knowledge, and freedom, are, when it comes right down to it,
      the product of our finitude.

      Why it is that, without finitude, there could be no knowledge, no
      freedom, no imagination, and no Being, in time, for us.

      How is that for an heretical interpretation?

      Hb3g