      From: Herman B. Triplegood <hb3g@...>
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 1:29 pm
      Subject: [existlist] Re: Getting Down to Basics vs Getting With the Program

      Wil: But a feeling is just ... a feeling.

      Hb3g: But a concept is just ... a concept.

      Consider lyric poetry for a moment.

      How is it that we "get" what the poem is saying?

      Is that just ... a feeling?

      Is it not also ... an understanding?

      What about philosophy?

      You say: Solve problems. Do critique. Be revolutionary. Will to power.

      I say: What about insight?

      What are we really "going after" here?

      Here you are, and this is your world before you. That relation, right

      there, is indeed an awesome fact, an irreducible fact of your Being,

      and of mine as well.

      You are not just a thing Wil. Nor are you just a thinking being. No.

      Not quite that either.

      You are Being ... thinking! That is what you are. And me too.

      That fact, right there, is astonishing.

      But thinking includes feeling. H says this in B & T. It just makes

      sense, you know. Try thinking without feeling. You can't. Not really.

      Mood and understanding always go together. They are inseparable.

      Thinking AND feeling, together, are always already there in the

      primordial experiential unity of our Being human, of our Being in a

      If we go at this one-sidedly, by raising thinking up over feeling, as

      if thinking were something more than, better than, truer than, and

      separate from, feeling, we do so at the risk of perhaps losing our

      ability to understand feeling. We sometimes think too much. So much,

      that we have "lost touch" with our feelings. Now we can think. But we

      can no longer feel.

      Yes. But, what we repress always manages to find its way back to us.

      The harder we repress the repressed, the more aberrant the return of

      that repressed can be.