44902Re: Awareness of the absurd

    Aug 5, 2008
      I'm so sorry; here you go . . .

      "I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out
      there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out
      there is. Albert Camus

      That is not a Camus quote -- It is a paraphrase of Blaise Pascal that
      has taken numerous forms and been quoted by several thinkers,
      including Pasteur.

      "Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what
      harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false?
      If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then,
      without hesitation, that He exists."

      From an aesthetic point of view, I have always found the Pascalian
      wager quite repulsive. To gamble on truth is to make a rational
      choice, as though belief could be manufactured. Possibly it can.
      Human beings differ considerably. At any rate I can see no
      connection between what Pascal reckons to be faith, and what
      Kierkegaard means by the leap. Scepticism as a starting-point always
      has my trust. Even when Voltaire is not enjoyable to read, he proves
      most sound.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic