44899Re: [existlist] making a difference?

  • Exist List Moderator
    Aug 4, 2008
      On Aug 04, 2008, at 11:06, Jewel wrote:

      > Your perspective is very interesting and traditionally relevant to
      > absurd/existentialism/nihilism discussion. And certainly I don't want
      > to be told I should make a difference. How do we gauge it? Duration?
      > What it encourages or defeats? Are we actually helping with our ideas
      > and actions? Can we act or not act with/out impunity? What are clean
      > hands?

      I dislike the whole "Make a Difference" sloganeering approach to life.
      It's right up there with "WWJD" and "Thousand Points of Light" as
      sources for meaning.

      I've been told I must enjoy what I do, in terms of "making a
      difference" in the lives of students, parents, and educators. I
      suppose there's some merit to what I do, but in all seriousness I
      study what interests me and simply hope it interests a few other
      people. I don't try to make people love what I study and I don't
      honestly believe it matters in a universal sense -- it matters to me,
      and me alone.

      Sure, it's interesting to ponder my external influence on lives. But,
      it is not my primary drive. Much like House or Sherlock Holmes, it is
      the puzzle I love. If others benefit from my curious nature, so be it.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.