44885Re: [existlist] Re: Awareness of the absurd

  • Exist List Moderator
    Aug 1, 2008
      On Aug 01, 2008, at 1:10, a_living_breathing_being wrote:

      > I'm so sorry; here you go . . .
      >
      > "I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out
      > there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out
      > there is. Albert Camus

      That is not a Camus quote -- It is a paraphrase of Blaise Pascal that
      has taken numerous forms and been quoted by several thinkers,
      including Pasteur.

      "Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what
      harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false?
      If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then,
      without hesitation, that He exists."

      Camus never quoted this, not even in his journals, not even to argue
      against the point.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.